Shooting near North Side: 2 killed, 8 injured near McDonald’s in Chicago

Two people were killed and at least eight others injured when a fight broke out near a McDonald’s on the Near North Side on Thursday night.

The shooting happened around 10:40 p.m. near Chicago Avenue and State Street, according to Chicago police spokesman Tom Ahern.

Paramedics rolled stretcher after stretcher under police tape. The eight injured were taken to hospital in serious to critical condition, and at least one of them underwent surgery, firefighters said. Their ages were not immediately known.

The chaotic scene quickly spread to the nearby Red Line as police searched for a suspect and a gun, stopping at least one train and evacuating passengers. CTA officials were stationed near the subway entrance as police combed the tracks.

One person suffered burns when they apparently fell against the third rail, firefighters said. She was stabilized at Stroger Hospital.

At least one person was arrested and a weapon was recovered, Ahern said.

Chicago police are working at the scene where two people were killed and at least eight others injured in a mass shooting on Chicago Avenue and State Street on the Near North Side,

Tyler Pasciak LaRivière/Sun-Times

Police did not give further details, but witnesses said the shooting resulted from a fight outside McDonald’s.

“When the fight started, we were right next to them,” 18-year-old Deonna Jackson said. “We had to run because I didn’t want anyone to hit me.”

“We were literally there,” she said. “The person they jumped on, we were talking to the people he was with, who turned out to be girls.”

“We get to 7/11, we turn around and they just start shooting, shooting like crazy,” Jackson said.

Tensions erupted among the crowd of onlookers, some of them shouting as officers blocked the streets around the McDonald’s. Some in the crowd started fighting each other and officers quickly moved in to disperse them.

A person asked an officer why it had to be so. “It doesn’t have to be,” replied the officer.

Several of the injured were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, one of whom died. As the sun rose on Friday, two people who said they knew one of the victims spoke near a car where a woman, looking distraught, spoke to someone on the phone.

“There is nothing you can do or say to help us at this time,” one said.

He said it was difficult to get information from police and hospitals. “These victims have mothers.”

About an hour later, the woman was seen leaving the hospital in tears. Three others were sobbing and kissing near the hospital entrance.

Around the same time, Mayor Lori Lightfoot released a statement calling the shooting an “outrageous act of violence” and saying she had asked the Superintendent of Police. David Brown for a “fixed station of uniformed officers at the intersection of State and Chicago and a separate fixed station in the Red Line station”.

The mayor said she had also asked the Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection to determine what further steps needed to be taken “to address long-standing concerns along this block”.

“Residents of the area, commuters and others just need to have peace of mind that this busy area is safe, and it’s time for more specific, concrete action to deal with this area once and for all,” he said. said Lightfoot.

“It’s just horrific and unacceptable that yet another tragedy is happening because guns are in the hands of people who simply don’t care about themselves or the value of the lives of others,” she added.

Shootings have exploded downtown all year. They are up 225% in the 18th arrondissement, which includes McDonald’s. In the 1st Ward, which covers parts of downtown and the Loop, shootings are up 100%.

About 40 minutes before the mass shooting, two men were injured in a shooting less than a mile away in the 400 block of West Locust Street, police said.

The men, aged 29 and 32, began arguing before opening fire, police said. The young man was shot in the right forearm and left ankle, and was transported to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition. The older man was shot in the abdomen and traveled to the northwest, where he was also in good condition, officials said.

Police say the shooting is unrelated to the attack at McDonald’s.


A witness at the scene said the shooting resulted from a scuffle outside a nearby McDonald’s.

Tyler Pasciak LaRivière/Sun-Times

Comments are closed.